Sunday, August 5, 2007

I'm a runner.

Okay, I admit it. I'm a sheep. A blog is totally out of character for me, as i would never in a million years publicly share this much about myself all in one spot, since I'm completely paranoid and watched too many Oprah episodes on the dangers of online goings-on. However, i post with a bunch of awesome (yes, I loved the 80's) runners on the WW message boards, and blogging is the trend, so i hopped on. I'm neither witty nor eloquent, and not at all creative with the written word. But, i love to talk about myself, so there it is. If you're interested, great! If not, beat it. This will be the other thing that's all about me.

Running background: 7 years ago I never ran a step in my life, and would put my new baby in the car to drive six blocks to a friend's house. However, pregnancy made me fat, so i wanted to do something to make myself less fat. (Okay...bacon sammies during said pregnancy made me fat. Whatever. Details.) Anyway, my adorable firstborn wasn't a big fan of health club daycare. (Alright, fine...I was a psycho-newmom and I thought they were incapable of caring for my precious child for a whole 45 minutes. Cripes. I see why my mother always said never to put anything in writing--you have to be so bloody honest) So, I got myself a jogging stroller for walks. The walks got a little faster. Then there was some jogging added here & there. Next thing i know it's Thanksgiving and I'm at the start of my first 5K. There was no going back. I was an addict.

I am a runner. There. I've said it. Among the daily, weekly, and monthly routines i follow as a career-less wife and mommy, the one thing I have that is all about me is running. As much as i sometimes hate dragging myself out the door, and as lousy as that first mile can sometimes be, nothing compares to the feeling that comes with it. Even whilst pushing 80+ lbs of jogging stroller+daughters, there a sense of release from everything else. Six blocks? Please. Give me six miles. No car required.

This summer i decided to train for my first half marathon. It's five weeks away, and i can't wait. A couple months ago I ran in a 10m. I can't believe I had doubts as to whether I'd finish it. Of course I finished it. I'm a runner. Someday, I'll call myself a distance runner. I don't completely feel it yet, but I know it's in there.

Next year, I'll run my first full marathon. I know I'm totally unprepared for what that means. There's a huge gap between saying you're going to run a marathon someday, and tying on your shoes, herding up to the start line, and crossing the finish 26.2 miles later. The WW running Lovelies are a huge inspiration to me, and when they say "if i can do it, so can you" I believe them. Because I'm a runner.

No comments: